History of Farragut
The Town of Farragut, located on the western edge of Knox County, had its beginnings in the late 1700s. Arriving on March 7, 1787, several families, including that of Col. David Campbell, became the first permanent settlers of European descent to call this area home.
The Campbell Station Inn still stands at the intersection of Kingston Pike and Campbell Station Road, and the Civil War Battle of Campbell Station was fought on the current Town Hall site on Nov. 16, 1863.
The area was greatly influenced by the marble industry during the late 19th century. The unincorporated village of Concord (listed on the National Register of Historic Places) was founded in 1854 just east of Farragut. Concord is located on the main rail line to Atlanta and the main channel of the Tennessee River and was an important transloading center for the Tennessee marble industry.
Farragut High School, Knox County’s first high school, was constructed in 1903. Since then, Farragut has built and maintained a tradition of excellent public schools receiving state and national recognition.
On January 16, 1980, Farragut incorporated as a town, primarily to avoid being annexed by Knoxville, which was shoring up its tax base by annexing affluent communities along Kingston Pike. The Town’s first mayor, Bob Leonard, was elected April 1, 1980, along with four aldermen.
The Town is named for Admiral David Glasgow Farragut, who was born at Lowe’s Ferry on the Tennessee River, about five miles from Town Hall. He was the first rear admiral, vice admiral and admiral of the United States Navy, and is best known for saying, “Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!” during the Battle of Mobile Bay on Aug. 5, 1864. The Farragut Museum, located inside Farragut Town Hall, is home to one of the largest collections of Admiral David Farragut artifacts in the country and a popular Civil War museum for history buffs young and old. A Civil War Trails historical marker, dedicated in 2010, commemorates the Battle of Campbell Station, fought on land surrounding Farragut Town Hall on Nov. 16, 1863.
To learn more about the Town of Farragut: